Tuesday, January 19, 2010

update and good bye hometown

I realize we've been lax in posting for the last week or so. I'm sure you all understand that having it all can be a bit much, especially when it doesn't include a nanny, private income or a working car! There'll be days (weeks) like that mamma said...

So, the exciting news is that my rents have sprung themselves from the coop that is Ellwood!!! I am so proud of them for going after what they want, pulling up roots and moving towards the bright lights and big city. While the reality is that they are following their living roots, and relocating to another bedroom community,  it still takes fortitude to leave your hometown. I can't say I am too sad that I will miss the holiday stop at the Shelby and the Hazel Manor Inn...I wonder if mom is going to drag us all back for the 4th of July craft festival? 

I must apologize in advance to those who still live in the 16117. Many of you are lifelong family friends, readers of this blog and most importantly regularly send love to us in form of prayer and therefore you are family, so you are exempt from the what I say next....I realized it was ok to break the strongest ties I have left in Ellwood on my last visit when two things happened:
1. I almost got run over by a monster truck
2. The lady at the store suggested the right thing to do when a kid sticks out their tongue is to belt them.

Ironically I have to do a training for work there in April. So I will be back.

So, onto the Sophie update. We are rolling towards surgery to remove the expanders like a semi, and I hope the momentum gets us through. We have two complications we are watching right now, a hole exposing the tubing (gross, right) and a scratch that won't heal one the forehead port we went through all the trouble of having emergency surgery over in December. So we can't inflate the forehead. Let's pray the hole doesn't expand, the scratch heals and no infections!!!! Also that Dr. Gosain puts her back together as well as she was put together in the first place.

We regularly get stares and questions now, my coping method of pretending she looked normal has failed entirely at this point. But people are nice and I am thankful that I can answer she has a good prognosis, despite how she looks. It could be worse. Trite but true.

Biggest daydream we have now is to find a way to manage a vacation during the surgery break. Someplace sunny and fun. With cocktails. And warm water. :-)



--
"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do." - Georgia O'Keefe

No comments:

Post a Comment