Monday, November 9, 2009

Medical Update

People have bucket lists. On them are things like: skydive, go to Australia, eat sushi at Nobu, make out with old flame, have a baby. All very normal. What I never had on mine, but now has been added inadvertently is: perform medical procedure on your baby's head using a butterfly needle. Wait a minute, didn't I choose a non-medical career for a reason?

With my partly shattered psyche I am trying to keep things in perspective. Sophie and I spend 6 hours in the car to Cleveland plus another hour or two in the hospital every Friday, my parents coming along for support and company (THANK YOU!). This is all very exhausting and we realized this is going to be going on for over a year and with winter heading to the Northeast any day now, I decided to learn to do the expansion procedure at home some of the time.

We may have found a home care nurse who would take this responsibility from me, but that is still up in the air. I am crossing my fingers for that option to work out.

Surgery for removal of the first round of expanders has been scheduled for March 8, 2010. We'll likely have a 2 month rest and the do it all again. Prayers for good health and job security (ie. medical benefit retention!) through this long period of medical treatment are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment